Work in Canada temporarily

Canada is actively looking for foreign workers and experts to add to its national workforce. However, there are different approaches and conditions to be able to work in Canada. For a foreign national to work in Canada, a valid work permit is the foremost requirement. Depending on the nature of the employment and work restrictions, the permit can be open or closed.

An open work permit is not job-specific and worker can work for any employer. No job offer or a positive Labor Market impact Assessment (LMIA) is required.

You may be eligible for open Work Permit if:

  • Your spouse or common-law partner is already working or planning to work in an occupation in Skill type O, A OR B of NOC in Canada.
  • Your spouse or common -law partner is currently studying in recognized Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
  • You are an International student who has recently graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution.

A closed work permit is employer specific and issued to a foreign worker to work for the specific employer that are listed on the LMIA.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The TFWP operated jointly by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) allows Canadian employers to hire from abroad temporarily, in order to overcome shortage in Canada’s work force.

These work permits are closed and employer – specific. This requires employer to look for Canadian citizen or permanent resident who are willing or able to do the job prior hiring a foreign worker.

Under TFWP employer can hire from following streams:

  • Foreign agriculture worker
  • High wage worker
  • Low wage worker
  • In home caregiver
  • Foreign academics
  • Global skills strategy

The TFWP program assures that the foreign workers are safely employed and get the rights and protection they deserve.

The first and the most important step in applying for TFWP is the requirement for a LMIA. This LMIA is a proof that the employer made relevant efforts to hire Canadian citizen or a permanent resident for the given Job.

This process includes: –

  • Advertising the position for at least four weeks and interviewing the interested applicants.
  • Payment of 1000 dollars application fee for LMIA to be paid by the employer.
  • Employer hiring for high wage position usually must provide a transition plan demonstrating employers intention to reduce reliance on temporarily foreign workers over a period of time.

Applying for a LMIA is an expensive and time-consuming process. Failure to adhere to specific requirements of the application can make the employer receive a monetary penalty or a ban from hiring temporary foreign workers.

Get Free
Assessment Today!

Open chat
Need Help