Spousal Sponsorship

Under the spousal Sponsorship program, Canadian citizens or permanent residents can sponsor their spouse, common-law partners and conjugal partners to migrate to Canada.

Who can sponsor?

To be a sponsor

  • You must be 18 years of age and need to be permanent residents or citizens of Canada.
  • Your relationship is genuine and not forged for the purpose of immigration
  • Your spouse or common-law partner is at least 18 years of age

You may not sponsor in the following conditions

  • You are in prison or have been convicted of an offence of a violent or a sexual nature.
  • You have declared or are in the process of declaring bankruptcy.
  • Have sponsored a family member in the past and failed to meet the terms.
  • Have sponsored a previous life partner who has not been a permanent resident for 3 years or more.
  • You are under a removal order.
  • You were yourself sponsored by a spouse and became a permanent resident less than five years ago.

After Sponsorship

  • The sponsor is financially responsible for meeting the basic requirements of the person sponsored for three years.
  • The person must cohabit with the sponsored spouse in Canada.
  • If you live in Quebec, you need to satisfy Quebec specific laws.

Get Free
Assessment Today!

Open chat
Need Help