Post Graduate Work Permit

IRCC’s Post Graduate Work Permit Program allows international graduates from eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institutes (DLIs) to obtain open work permits for up to 3 years and gain Canadian work experience. Skilled work experience gained during this time in National Occupation Classification (NOC) type or skill level A or B further helps candidates to apply for Permanent Residence under Canadian Experience Class (CEC) within the Express Entry System.

Post Graduate Work Permit Eligibility

International graduates from an eligible DLI must fulfil the following requirements while applying for a PGWP:

  • If applying from within  Canada, the applicant must have valid temporary immigration status. If you have lost your status before applying for a PGWP application, you may apply for a PGWP from outside Canada.
  • Applicants must have completed an academic, professional or vocational training program from an eligible institution in Canada for at least 8 months in duration and must have earned a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Applicants must have maintained full-time status in Canada during each academic session. Certain exceptions may apply for students on a part-time basis on grounds of either “Approved leave from studies” or “Final Academic Session” only.
  • A transcript from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met all the requirements to complete their program of study needs to accompany the PGWP application.

Note: A Post Graduate Work Permit is a pivotal pathway to gain valuable Canadian work experience and apply for Permanent Residence for many applicants. It is a “Once in a Lifetime” opportunity. An applicant can receive only 1 PGWP in their lifetime (subject to a maximum duration of 3 years). It is not extendable.

We recommend applicants be extra cautious while applying for a PGWP, consult an Immigration Consultant. Depending on your academic and professional profile, the path to permanent residency needs to be charted out as soon as you submit the application.

Get Free
Assessment Today!

Open chat
Need Help