Family Sponsorship

Canada offers a number of immigration programs that provide the citizens and permanent residents with the opportunities to sponsor their family members to Canada.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your: –

  • Spouse, Common-law partner or conjugal partner 18 or plus years of age.
  • Dependent child (under 22 years of age)
  • Parents and grandparents
  • Orphaned relatives: brothers, sisters, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter under the age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship.

Relationship definitions

  • Spouse —your spouse is one to whom you are legally married
  • Common-law partner — Either of the opposite or same sex, if you have been living together for at least one year that was uninterrupted. you need to provide proof of your setting up a household together.
  • Conjugal partner — partners either of opposite or same sex who are prevented from living together owing to exceptional circumstances.
  • Dependent children —- who are of 21 years old or younger and does have a spouse or common-law partner. Children who are above 21 years of age but are dependent on financial support of parents because of physical or mental disability also come under this category.

Sponsorship Obligations

  • Sponsor must be 18 years of age and citizen or permanent resident in Canada.
  • Sponsor must not be bankrupt
  • Have sponsored a family member in the past and failed to meet the terms
  • You along with the sponsored relative need to sign an agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative for a period ranging from three to twenty years post is /her arrival in Canada.
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years or until the child turns 25.
  • You must meet the selection criteria of income as noted under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Once the sponsorship application is in process, sponsored family members over the age of 18 years need to submit police certificates and all family members will need to have a medical exam.

Get Free
Assessment Today!

Open chat
Need Help