Visiting Canada Temporarily

Citizens of most countries, not permanent residents of Canada, require a visa when travelling to Canada for a short time, or transiting  (layover/change planes) inside Canada. If are visiting Canada Temporarily or transiting, you must apply for a visa prior to your arrival in Canada. In the absence of a Visa, you will not be allowed to enter the country. This visa cannot be obtained upon arrival in Canada. If you are exempt from a visa, you still need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): If you want to visit Canada temporarily for example on holiday, visit relatives, conduct business, or travel to Canada for any other reason you must apply for what is called a Temporary Resident Visa or a Visitor Visa. This document is issued at the Canadian consulate nearest you and is placed in your passport before you travel. The visa acts as proof for the border officer that all the requirements to be a temporary resident of Canada as a visitor, student, or worker have been met satisfactorily. Depending on individual circumstances, individuals may be issued a Multiple Entry or a Single Entry visa.
    • Multiple Entry Visa: This allows you to enter, leave and re-enter Canada multiple times within a given period of time. This type of Visa is normally valid for up to 10 years & a single visit should not normally exceed a period of 6 months.
    • Single Entry Visa: As the name suggests, if a traveler is issued a Single Entry Visa then he/she has to leave Canada within the allowed time period and must apply again for a Visa before re-entering Canada.


  • Business Visitor Visa: You would look to use this option if you plan to visit Canada for a few days or weeks going up to a maximum of 6 months. This is advisable for activities like attending a conference or a meeting, skill training, Providing after sales service on products sold in the past (not involving labor) etc. A Business Visitor TRV is not the right option if you wish to enter The Canadian Labour Market.


  • Visa Exempt Travelers: Citizens of certain countries are exempt from getting a TRV before boarding a flight to Canada. They are, however, required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization or eTA if they are flying to Canada. The link to the list of countries whose residents are exempt under this category can be found on The Government of Canada website and one can also apply for the eTA through this website by paying their fees online and filling out the authorization form.


  • Super Visa: Is a special kind of TRV that is meant specifically for Parents or Grand Parents of a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident. The Super Visa can increase the length of stay for a single trip from 6 months to up to 2 years, with a maximum time period of up to 10 years. To meet the eligibility under this category the applicant (Parents or Grand Parents) must :
    • be able to prove their relationship to the child or grandchild living in Canada
    • child or grandchild living in Canada must meet the Low Income Cut Off (LICO),
    • go through a Medical Examination by a Panel physician,
    • Arrange for Medical Insurance for a minimum of $100,000 for 1 year or more
    • provide all other documents as required specific to the situation of the applicant.


  • Temporary Resident Permit (TRP): If you have a criminal record or some other issue that may cause you to be inadmissible to Canada, you may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada.


Please note: Visa does not guarantee entry into Canada. Your entry into Canada is determined by the official at the port of entry.

Visiting Canada Temporarily

Get Free
Assessment Today!

SAAB immigration can guide you on all the paperwork needed when Visiting Canada Temporarily
Open chat
Need Help