Bridging Open Work Permit, Canada

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) is helpful for foreign workers in Canada, whose current work permit is due to expire within four months, and have applied for permanent residence, under either the Federal Skilled Worker Class, the Federal Skilled Trades Class, the Canadian Experience Class or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs. The biggest advantage this program brings is that the applicant can continue working legally in Canada while their application for permanent residence is being processed.

Under this program, applicants or their dependents do not need to leave Canada temporarily or stay under visitor status or apply for LMIA.

How to apply for BOWP?

Submit the electronic application for permanent residence (e-APR).
An Acknowledgement of Receipt Letter is automatically generated in the MyCIC account.
Applicants who are eligible for BOWP should apply immediately after receiving this.
Acknowledgement of Receipt Letter issued by IRCC.

BOWP Applications are processed after the Centralized Intake Office validates the completeness. Incomplete e-APR Can lead to the refusal of the BOWP application and the applicant is no longer eligible under this program.

Who can apply for a bridging open work permit?

The foreign national must:

  • Not be in Canada under Section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (work permit exempt)
  • Have a valid work permit with an expiry date of within 4 months. The individual needs to be in Canada at the time of application filing.
  • Have applied for an open work permit.
  • Not let his/her status expire.
  • Be principal applicant for permanent residence under the FSWP, The CEC, the PNP or the FSTP.
  • Receive a positive eligibility assessment on his or her application.
  • Not be applying for a bridging work permit at the point of entry.

If the bridging open work permit, of an applicant for permanent residence, that has been applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, then it is restricted to the nominating province. The province and city of destination will need to be selected to show the province/ territory.

No restrictions of employment location are there for the bridging open work permit, issued to applicants for the Federal Skilled Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class or Canadian Experience Class.

Bridging Open Permit - SAAB immigration

Get Free
Assessment Today!

Open chat
Need Help